Monday, September 30, 2013

Flowers for ME?


It was more than six years ago when I was admitted to the hospital with blood clots in my lungs. I was started on blood thinners and ordered to stay in bed for the first couple of days. I was unable to speak more than a few words without becoming short of breath. It's amazing how busy the mind gets when there are not words being spoken in the room. 

Up to this point in my life I had always been the caregiver. I found this role as patient to be very uncomfortable. I instructed my husband to tell our family, friends and church family that I did not want visitors. (Please, no hovering.)

My husband, John, was very worried about me but also grateful that I was in the hospital. And I was grateful that John is not the hovering type. John expresses love and gratitude by giving. He decided to express his gratitude to the hospital staff by bringing food for each shift on the floor where I was staying. In the mornings John brought bagels and croissants. In the evenings John brought pizzas. I loved it. My dear husband was taking care of "them" and therefore they were busy and NOT taking care of me. 

On day three of my hospital stay I was allowed out of bed to sit in a chair or to go to the bathroom. Also on that day I had a visitor. A friend of mine, who is a pastor, walked into my room and sat in the chair next to my bed. I said to him, "Oh you are here visiting other patients. You didn't come here just to see me." He wisely replied, "Michelle, that is not a question." I never did ask the question. My friend stayed for a little while, prayed with and for me, and departed. It was quiet again.

It wasn't too long after that when a hospital volunteer walked in my room with a bouquet of flowers ... for me. I was surprised and delighted.  I placed the flowers on a shelf in front of the window and gazed at them. A strange thing happened. A sadness welled up in me. And then anger. I didn't want to be a patient in a hospital or anywhere. I wanted to scream "please don't bring me flowers!" Tears began to flow and to drip on the bouquet. I realized that I was hovering over those flowers.

Questions for reflection and journaling:

What feelings well up in you when you think of being cared for? 

Where are you hovering? How does it feel?

Are you giving yourself enough quiet time for gazing into your feelings?

What is the question that you are not asking?



5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Michelle. First of all thank you for sharing these very personal thoughts. This morning I have been reflecting on my hidden desire to be "taken care of" for such a long time. "I" am the "caregiver". Single mother, long time having been divorced, raising three kids, losing my oldest in a car accident at age 15, 39 years of being alone and no one taking care of me. All of a sudden, a year ago, God brought a woman friend into my life through an on-line art retreat of Judy's, and at the end of the retreat, she invited me to lunch. She told me her story and we have been close friends ever since. I feel a love for her I have never felt before. And she loves me and cares for me. Now God has brought another younger woman friend into my life for me to nurture who is nurturing me right back. Both are married and have families but the "being cared for" evidently has been a deep longing and desire of my heart, and now it is coming at a time when I am aging and questioning my value in ministry and in life and God is there. Two beautiful bouquets from God, no less, to accompany the flowers I have around my condo. I am so blessed and so overcome with joy in a world of aging, loss of youth and health, needing reassurance of my value. Thank you for the blessing you are in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I love that you describe these two women as "beautiful bouquets." How wonderful that God has brought them to you. I pray that you never doubt your value in ministry. I imagine that your gifts are being freshly shaped for these days and those that lie ahead. You are loved.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Michelle. You are just another of the Gifts from God in my life.

      Delete
  2. Your words contain power and healing - keep blogging my friend ~

    ReplyDelete